Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Economy and The Environment

Volunteers at the South Plains Food Bank in Lubbock, Texas are doing their part.


In addition to helping the local economy like many food banks do these people are going the extra mile and helping the environment as well.

Exerpt from latest GRUB newsletter:

This week on the farm we are thinking green. How can we be more ecology-minded and how can we teach the GRUB (GROWING RECRUITS FOR URBAN BUSINESS) kids this important lesson? BY EXAMPLE! I must say that one of my biggest lessons was learned from one of our shareholders, Sara Hanna. Last year following a work day at the farm she asked me where to put plastic waterbottles for recycling. I was embarrassed and ashamed to tell her that we didn't recycle anything but aluminum cans at the farm (and that is only to get $). Sara quietly gathered up all of the plastic bottles and took them with her. This scene has haunted me since. I made a new year's resolution to begin a recycling program at home, and I have stuck to it. I even recycled glass bottles from the farm after kids all had sodas out of glass bottles one week. But how do we truly incorporate this into our lifestyle? Good question. I am starting a "Green Corner" section of the newsletter beginning this week. I welcome input, advice, tips, suggestions, etc. from all of you. Since I have begun my recycling efforts at home I have more questions concerning what is and what isn't recycled in Lubbock (and why). Here's to learning together.

Debbie Cline


Read More about GRUB at hungershope.org

No comments: